Consumer responsibilities help ensure customers make informed purchases and use products the way they were intended, both safely and lawfully.
- Holistic consumer protection is a collective effort. Its actualisation requires input, not just from manufacturers, service providers and government, but also the consumer.The consumer has the responsibility to:
- 1. Be Aware: Gather all the information and facts available about a product or service, as well as, keep abreast of changes and innovations in the market.
- 2. Beware: Be alert to the quality and safety of products and services before you purchase.
- 3. Think Independently: Make decisions about well-considered needs and wants.
- 4. Speak Out: The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has said, you are expected to Inform manufacturers and government of your needs and expectations.
- 5. Be an Ethical Consumer: Be fair and never engage in dishonest practices which affect other consumers negatively.
- 6. Complain: Inform businesses and appropriate regulatory authorities about your dissatisfaction with a product or service, in a fair and honest manner
- 7. Share Experience: Inform other consumers about your experience with a product or service.
- 8. Respect the Environment: Avoid waste, littering and contributing to pollution. Promote sustainable consumption by ensuring that what you consume does not impact on the environment negatively.